At Belmont Family Dentistry, we offer CEREC same-day crowns, done in the office while you wait. CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic. This system provides your doctor with state-of-the-art technology and computer-assisted design software to custom design your porcelain crown. For your convenience, the restoration is done while you wait, and you’ll leave the office with your tooth and smile restored.
How Does CEREC Work?
CEREC uses CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) to produce better, smarter fitting dental products. CAD/CAM involves the use of digital scanners that form a three-dimensional image of the tooth that is readable by the computer. It is then used as a personalized reference while forming a product.
More specifically, the doctor uses a scanner to take a digital image of the tooth. In case of a broken or decaying tooth, the doctor corrects the damaged portion digitally on a computer. The computer then uses the corrected image, also called a digital impression, and draws the data into a computer. Proprietary software then creates a replacement part for the missing areas of the tooth, creating a virtual restoration. This is called reverse engineering.
This virtual information is then sent to a milling machine which cuts and drills a solid block of ceramic or composite resin into the replacement parts of the virtual image. The grinding time in the milling machine varies from 4 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the restoration size.
What Are The Benefits Of CEREC Same-Day Crowns?
With CEREC same-day crowns, patients no longer have to wait weeks for their crowns to be created at a dental lab. Additionally, CEREC crowns
- Restore your tooth and smile the same day.
- Require only one appointment to complete the process.
- Produce a natural-looking crown that blends seamlessly with your smile.
- Use state-of-the-art technology to provide greater looking and lasting results.
- Provide a perfect fit, reducing any chances of error or need for a redo.
- Restore all your functions (chewing, speech, and smile) immediately.
- Require less drilling to save more of your natural tooth, keeping your tooth strong.
- Eliminate the need for a temporary crown, reducing the risk of irritation to the mouth or the chance of a dislodged temporary crown and any subsequent decay.
Why Is CEREC Preferred Over Traditional Methods?
CEREC same-day crowns are preferred over the traditional method of producing crowns because they are a huge time and money saver. Since CEREC is done in a day, there is no need for multiple appointments to complete the process, so it is a major convenience for our patients.
With traditional methods, the doctor has to
- Make an Impression of the teeth using messy silicone
- Send impressions to a dental lab to customize the crown for the patient
- Glue a temporary crown in place to protect the teeth until the permanent crown is ready
- Have the patient follow a strict diet to avoid hard or chewy foods
- Schedule a future appointment for the patient for a fitting
- Make adjustments to the permanent crown to ensure a proper fit
None of these steps are required for CEREC same-day crowns.
How Long Does The Process Take?
CEREC same-day crowns can be completed within 60-120 minutes for a single tooth. The majority of that time is spent designing and milling the restoration.
What Can You Expect On The Day Of The Procedure?
On the day of the procedure, the doctor numbs the tooth and prepares the tooth accordingly. Once the restoration is completed (designed and milled), it is adjusted, bonded into the tooth, and polished. You can resume normal chewing and drinking immediately.
Are CEREC Crowns Durable?
CEREC crowns are very durable and assume the shape of actual teeth. Because they are so durable, you can expect them to last a long time with proper care.
Are CEREC Crowns Covered By Dental Insurance?
Dental insurance providers cover CEREC crowns just like other crowns. We will talk to your insurance provider to find out what is covered and how much. If you don’t have dental insurance, financial arrangements may be made with our office.
Contact Belmont Family Dentistry today at (503) 234-1218 to schedule your CEREC same-day crown consultation.